Bear with me on this one, I promise I’m going somewhere. America celebrated its Independence Day on Monday, a day when grilling, overeating, and cornhole reign supreme. Because of that, and since Friday Recruitin’ is on, well, Friday, it took us until now to properly celebrate. Therefore, we’ve chosen a Babe that wants to show off her American beauty in all its splendor. Sure, she may have slipped in the past couple of years, with high profile break ups from scrub quarterbacks (yea, I said it) and mid-90s boy band heroes (yea, I said that too). But as this spread that premiered in GQ shows, the woman had it at some point, and I sure hope she finds it again. America, enjoy Ms. Jessica Simpson.
After a week that saw three commitments for Penn State, this past week was marred by a de-commitment, that coming from NY DT Jarron Jones. Jones was a “soft verbal” which, at this point in the recruiting game, essentially meant wasn’t really committed. It was equivalent to saying that Penn State was his leader, and the staff had been treating him as such, staying in constant contact. Unfortunately, another coach got in touch with Jones and a visit to South Bend later, Jones is decommitted.
Penn State isn’t out of the running yet; Jones has stated that we’re still in his Top 4 and still have a great shot to land him. However, actions speak louder than words, and now it seems as though Penn State could miss on this highly sought after five-star recruit. Jones claims he will be ready to make a decision by his senior season, which presumably begins sometime in the next two months, so we’ll see how this all plays out soon enough.
Now, on with the show.
Penn State Recruiting News
- Commitment alert: there are a few kids on commitment alert, including the remaining camp offers (NY RB Akeel Lynch, VA DB Mike Tyson, CT DB Malik Golden) along with a certain linebacker and wide receiver, each from PA. Who’s next??
- Will Biggers of 247Sports caught up with Jarron Jones ($), who gives some insight on his Notre Dame trip.
- There was a huge group of recruits across multiple classes in Oregon this week for Nike’s The Opening combine, and Lions247 has a recap of some of the scores.
- Keep up to date with the top PSU targets on our very own Big Board. However, for more in-depth (and, let’s face it, better) analysis, check out Sean Fitz’s July Big Board ($), where he runs down the top 15 recruits.
- In wrestling news, Penn State landed a commitment from highly sought PA recruit Jimmy Gulibon. He was recruited by wrestling heavyweights Cornell and Iowa, before choosing Penn State and making this statement – “I would love to be an All-American and hopefully I can become an NCAA champion. I think with the coaches at Penn State, I possibly can.”
- In hockey news, Penn State received news that former St. Cloud State forward Bryce Johnson would be transferring to play for the Nittany Lions.
- An interesting article from the Altoona Mirror on how Austin Johnson and Derek Dowrey weren’t under the radar recruits because they had been at camp and had some other big (for Johnson, at least) offers. Agree to disagree, I suppose. Hopefully these kids become stars on campus, though.
- UPDATE: Jarrod Wilson picked Michigan, surprising relatively no one.
Big Ten Recruiting News
- MGoBlog’s Big Ten Recruiting Class Rankings – Penn State has dropped down to three, having been jumped by not-in-the-Big-Ten Notre Dame. ND actually jumped PSU in last week’s rankings, which are based on star averages and neither Derek Dowrey nor Austin Johnson are ranked by the major services yet.
- TomVH’s Weekly Update at MGo – Not much overlap once again, though a couple of small tidbits including a mention of Michigan’s attendees-to-watch at The Opening, a rather large camp in Oregon this week.
- Wednesday Recruitin’ for Michigan – Jarrod Wilson decides today! It’s likely going to be Michigan, but Penn State and Notre Dame have the outside chance. Not much outside of that announcement.
- Bri’onte Dunn is totally committed to Ohio State, you guys. Like, for realsies.
- ESPN takes a look at when the recruit becomes the recruiter. You won’t see any Penn State mentions there, but Cam Williams is apparently in touch with many other recruits, even though none have, as of yet, committed.
- Late addition: Iowa gains another commitment, this time a four-star defensive tackle from Chicago, Jaleel Johnson.
Other News That’s Fit to Print
- Penn State’s annual Lift for Life will take place this weekend. My money is on Mike Mauti, Michael Zordich, Drew Astorino, and NAVY DIVER THAT WAS STATIONED IN PEARL HARBOR FOR THREE YEARS P.J. Byers.
- Get to know Silas Redd. I’ve never seen a player rocket to the top of fans’ “Favorite Player Lists” as fast as Silas. And he’s earned it.
- Linebackers? Yea, we got them. ESPN’s Brian Bennet puts PSU’s LB corps at No. 2 in the conference (behind Nebraska), and puts Mike Mauti (No. 2) and Gerald Hodges (No. 8) on the list of top individual linebackers.
Best Guess at Next Commitment: NY RB Akeel Lynch (PA LB Nyeem Wartman a close second)